Frequently Asked Questions
- Calgary Orthodontist
- Question #9
What should I avoid when I eat with braces?
Although braces have become sturdier with modern technology, it’s still important to be careful not to damage them. Certain foods can damage braces components like the rubber bands, wires, or even the bracket itself. Generally, avoid all foods that are sticky, hard, or chewy. Soft foods are most recommended for those who wear braces because they are gentler on braces hardware.
Read the following list of foods to avoid:
- Sticky candies like toffee, jujubes, caramels, skittles, etc.
- Nuts, popcorn kernels
- Hard granola bars
- Ice and popsicles
- Hard candy (do not chew!)
- Hard rolls, bagels, and pizza crust
- Hard fruits and veggies: cut or break up into small pieces and chew with back teeth
- Ribs and meat on bones
- Corn on the cob: cut off before eating
- Chewing pens, pencils, fingernails or using teeth to open things
- Bubblegum (sugarless gum is okay!)